Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day Four of "Acting Camp"

It's day four of "Acting Camp" as Lucy calls it and she informed me today she doesn't want it to end. She said, "I want to go again and again!"

I got to interview "Teacher Barbara" yesterday and get some of her thoughts on working with this younger age group. I couldn't have her energy and excitement even after 6 cups of coffee. She is so animated with the kids, she reminds me of the Princess' at Disneyland with her long blonde hair and happy facial expressions. Barbara shared with me that for this particular camp Kids on Stage her goal is to introduce children to being on stage and all the fun in playing make believe and inventing characters. She said they focus on a non competitive environment where everyone gets a chance to shine on stage and through drama games .

I saw her circling up the kids and working with them on different emotions, facial expressions, and physical characteristics. I was amazed that all of the kids paid close attention and there was no need to be wrangling children from around the room as I've seen in so many other childcare situations.

Then each child sat remarkably well and took turns going up to pick out a special costume for the "Play of the Day." The costumes were colorful princess dresses and full on animal outfits with hoods and tails. The camp is co ed which is nice and I had to smile as one adorable little boy chose a  dragon costume with some princess accessories. He was a fierce dragon, though, no doubt about it! My daughter of course picked a huge princess dress and then her little crew took the stage. Teacher Barbara led them through a story and encouraged them to act out all the motions and activities that they had suggested. Each child had a character. My child was "Stawberrella".


I loved to see how creative the kids were as they ran and jumped and said their lines. I couldn't help but beam with pride watching every tiny action Lucy made. I was already planning her Disney tour and spin off sit com where in true Billy Rae Cyrus fashion I would play her comedic but hot mom! How can you not watch the play of the day and be thinking "wow..my kid is so awesome! Look at how she picks those imaginary strawberries with such conviction!" Ok..somebody stop me.

I politely excused myself and ended up chatting with another mother from the class. Her child is already a working professional in the industry so I couldn't help myself but ask for some numbers of some good photographers. After all, since Lucy's in Acting Camp now it'll be time for her to get a job so Mommy can go to Barbados! I'm sure glad Kids on Stage has classes for all age groups. I'm signing her up till she's 18 or goes to Broadway, whichever comes first!

Check out some of the photos and info here on the older kids camps. They look very impressive and from my homework it appears many of their students indeed have gone on to become professional actors. But I'm sure they all remember "The Play of the Day" from Kids on Stage fondly.
Call me Mama Rose!

No comments: