Monday, March 14, 2011

Moments In Time

I'm sitting here with Ruby by my side. REO Speedwagon is having a reunion on PBS and songs from my pre teen years are blaring through my tv screen. Ron is asleep and so is Lucy.I'm recovering from a humbling night of entertaining 500 screaming kids and their 500 parents at an awards sports night. I survived with my dignity in tact except for the fact that my 3 yr old Lucy asked some guy" Why are you brown?"
Tomorrow I'm performing for a group of lovely ladies, mostly seniors, and then racing back to LA for a commercial audition for Converse Tennis shoes. Then I'm off to Lucy's ballet class then meeting with our pastors for a prayer meeting . What a life. I got a phone call from a very ollllllllllllllld friend who happens to be in CA on business. When I say old he's actually exactly my age and I met him when we were 14 with our families on vacation. He was my first real grown up love!
It was serious. We were 14!
He's a big boy now with two sweet daughters like me and many huge businesses and fancy cars, unlike me!LOL We've grown up and out of our Richard Marx songs crushes and gotten married and had kids on oppossite coasts. I actually talk to his lovely wife more than I do him on facebook. I had to laugh because we were trying to squeeze in a visit and I heard myself say" I can't drive at night because my vision is bad!" He started laughing so hard. I couldn't believe that came out of my mouth.
Did I need to talk about my dentures next? When we were 15 we would have run across the country by foot to visit eachother even if it was for 5 minutes. Now I'm trying to fit him in between pre school car pool and my Christian comedy show for the senior ladies at the country club. I'm typing this as I ' m literally hearing" I Can't Fight This Feeling Any Longer" plays in the background. Hearing old music and old friends voices make me a bit nostalgic sometimes for the days when grown up life didn't get in the way of all our plans. Before it was our parents who were getting in the way, now it's kids! Such is life.

Then I walked over and held my darling Ruby in my arms. We played and she laughed out loud at me for the first time . I'm a comedian this was a big moment and I got big laughs. I rocked with her to my 80's tunes and as I saw her smile I said" Ruby you're worth it. I love you so much and even though being your grown up mommy is hard sometimes. I wouldn't change a thing.You're the best audience in the world." I can enjoy the past and sigh, but my smiles come from my present. I love my Lucy , my Ruby , and my Ron. It's 11:30pm time to go to bed .Oh wait I think Ruby wants to jam a little more with me.

No comments: