Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Interview for Our Single Purpose


Below is a Q&A that I recently did for Our Single Purpose, and I thought I would share it here. Hope you enjoy it. Happy Tuesday, my friends!
Kerri Pomarolli is one of the top Christian powerhouse and spiritual warriors in Hollywood. Her clean comedy has people rolling in laughter worldwide and her heart keeps her in front of charitable causes with a passion! I am so thankful to have worked with Kerri in the past, and to call her my friend.  Kerri resides in Los Angeles with her husband Ron (who is also a comedian), and their two children.  However, before marriage, Kerri's topics for her comedy routines came from her singleness. She has also written two books on the topic, and her ministry has been a great encouragement to me over the years. I think we single ladies can learn a lot from her wisdom, and I am blessed to have her as a guest for my post today.
-  What is one piece of advice that no one gave you as a single person that in retrospect would have really helped you?
Marriage is much harder than being single. You will be happy when you're married but you will never ever get this amount of free time back. It may seem silly, but try to appreciate this time rather than view it as loneliness. Appreciate this time in your life to be selfish, travel, watch what you want on tv, take long showers, have friends over all the time, stay up late, and eat the last piece of cake. It will change quickly. You will have the rest of your life to have people pulling at you every minute and you will miss this time!
- How did you stay focused on God and his standards for relationships as a single person living in LA surrounded by many temptations?
It's no different in LA than anywhere else. We have the same raging hormones and emotions. If you're 28 and you think you're too big a girl not to play by the rules and go over to your boyfriend's house late at night..you'll see why the rules are there..for your own good. It's not about where you live it's about how you live. I did have a task force of women who were my accountability and that was huge help.
- You have written two books on singleness and dating. Tell us more about them and how you want them to encourage readers?
I was sick of reading books by authors who "were" single then got married at 18 . I read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," but wasn't buying it. I wanted to kiss dating HELLOOO. I didn't want all dating books to make me feel bad about being single. I wrote my books "Guys Like Girls Named Jennie" and "How to Ruin Your Dating Life" to teach singles some things, and also for them to laugh at my crazy mixed up REAL journey. I did it all wrong and still got it right in the end. God forgives and doesn't keep score. By the way, I need some love on Amazon.  if you like my books please go review them!
- How did you serve Christ and the church as a single lady, and what are some ways you would encourage those who are currently single to serve?
I did some mission trips, the camp counselor thing, and spent a lot of time with the older ladies at prayer group. I invested a lot of time with older ladies because they are wise. My good friend Betty is now 98, and she and I traveled together on a mission trip. I think when you're single you have time on your side. Spend it wisely.
- You are a light for Christ in Hollywood and I love your boldness for Him. In what ways can we be praying for you as you continue to minister to people through your comedy in LA as well as across the country?
Pray for open doors in Hollywood. Pray for Ron and I to work more in town, on the sets of film and TV shows. Satan doesn't want us on the sets but we know we can see a difference in people's lives. I have some projects coming up such as my book becoming a film. I really have a heart to create projects Christians can be a part of and that we're all proud of. Please keep my whole family in prayer.
To learn more about Kerri and her ministry visit her website here.
Follow her on Twitter here.
"Like" her on Facebook here.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I agree! She is inspiring without being too holy roller. Very realistic advice and so true about being single and savor your freedom, time and money... :0)