Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kids On Stage Week 3

People tell  me my family is a sit com. I just had one of those days where I think they are right. I'm a mom of two who is still putting her hat in the ring of this crazy business. So I had to put my "skinny jeans" on today and go over to Hollywood for an audition for the new version of "In Living Color." Remember Jim Carey and the Wayan brothers? Well I saw Lindsay Lohan and her mom, and Keenan Ivory Wayans, and got to sit next to a bunch of kids auditioning for a Disney show. I had almost 2 hours of waiting and performing comedy for two interns who decided to laugh on the inside. I was ready to go drown my sorrows in some ice cream. I saw kids there with their moms in the waiting room. One mom said they literally drive in from Vegas for every audition. No one looked like they were having that much fun. It seemed like a business venture and the kids were the "product."

I had a flashback of yesterday when Lucy got done with her class at Kids On Stage. She came running out with the biggest smile she'd ever had. She and her buddy David were screaming and laughing. Lucy said "I was a princess in the show today, mommy!" David said, "So was I!" His mother corrected him quietly "I think you mean Prince, honey!" David replied, "Oh yeah, sure mom, whatever. It was sooooooooooooooo fun."

To see the joy on those kids' faces after an hour of games and activities that only focus on helping them learn the art of theater and play was amazing. Kids On Stage is showing my daughter the true joy of performing. So many "stage moms" thrust their kids into Disney auditions without ever exposing them to where it all starts--the theater. I got my start as an actress in a program very similar to Kids On Stage. They taught me about all my gifts and how I could use my imagination in so many ways. My first play was "Alice in Wonderland," and I'll never forget that I was the special Catepillar. Now, we had 100 kids, so there were 9 Catepillers--but I didn't care. I knew I was special. I realize this is how Lucy's teachers are making her feel. Below is a little interview I did with one of the founders of this awesome program.
As women who've been with the program for a very long time , what do you think is the best part about your job?

As the business-creative director I love every aspect from incept of play ideas to helping with designing and creating props/sets and costumes and watching the classes and camps unfold each week up to their show day.

What is your favorite thing about Kids On Stage in particular?

For me as the business owner and a behind-the-scenes girl, it is watching each child have the courage to get up on that stage--whether they are shy or outgoing--and seeing the transformation from the beginning of a class to their final performance.  Each time I am touched more than I thought I would be and feel so proud of what they accomplished and how talented and brave each child and teen is.  I am so impressed about how each group works so closely together, collaborating and having their own unique voice and character in their production.

What do you want the kids to get out of participating in one of your programs?

Most important and first is the joy of theater and knowing that you do not have to be in an audition-harsh environment to learn acting skills, learn to hit your mark or the business the acting. You can learn the same through fun, creativity, collaboration and having your voice heard.
I love the heart behind this program. There will be plenty of time for Lucy to be in TV studios later . But for now I'm thrilled she's happy being a beautiful princess and that's the best show of all.

For more info: www.kidsonstage.com

No comments: